A borough in Berks County, Pennsylvania, 18 miles (29km) southwest of Allentown and 17 miles (27km) northeast of Reading. As of the 2010 census, the borough had a population of 5,012. Kutztown University is located just outside the borough limits to the southwest. George (Coots) Kutz purchased 130 acres (53ha) of land that became Kutztown on June 16, 1755, from Peter Wentz, who owned much of what is now Maxatawny Township. Kutz first laid out his plans for the town in 1779. The first lots in the new town of Cootstown (later renamed Kutztown) were purchased in 1785 by Adam Dietrich and Henry Schweier.